Welcome to my Top Ten Tuesday revived by That Arsty Reader Girl in January 2018, I’m completely new to this so I’m really excited to kick off my first post.
I’ll be writing about my top 10 things that make me pick up a book, so without further ado…
- The cover of a book. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover!! But I do think a cover can give you a feel of the book, a dark mysterious cover can intrigue me just as much as a good title.
- The author. I’m a huge fan of certain authors and if they were to write the phonetic alphabet I’d still read it, regardless of how good it was!
- If it’s a series of books or a standalone novel. I love a good book series, I find the author gives themselves more time to expand on the storyline and really set the scene and delve into the background of the story.
- If someone has recommended it. I’m a huge believer of recommending books to people (one of my later posts will be about books I’ve brought or borrowed from the library based on what other people have shared) and so if someone has been kind enough to tell me about a book they think I’ll like then I will DEFINITELY pick that book up.
- Comments from other authors. I recently read The Woman in the Window and in my review I posted that I picked this book purely because other authors that I adore had said how good this book was. I was disappointed in the book but the sole reason I chose it was Stephen King’s recommendation!
- The genre. I’m a fan of certain genres, and I went through a phase where I loved crime books, so I’d only look for books that came under that topic.
- The length of the book. As with the series of books, I find a longer book has more time to set the scene and delve into the background, but equally something too long will bore you. It has to be the perfect length.
- It’s a topic I enjoy (none fiction). I love ethics & philosophy and quite a broad range of history as well, so if a book is on a topic I enjoy, I’ll pick it up and give it a read. I prefer to buy these kind of books as I’m able to then doodle over them and write in them – terrible but SOZ.
- Staying Power. Is this book going to be read for years to come? Continue to spark discussions? Or is it a book that has been around for years that people can’t seem to get enough of? Either way, if it’s got staying power I AM HERE FOR IT.
- The Fear Of Missing Out. OOOOH, yes, I get this big time. If someone is talking about a book, I so want to be able to contribute my opinion on it and I want to do so ASAP so that they don’t move onto something that I haven’t read yet. A terrible reason to read but something that I’m super guilty of sometimes 😦
Do you pick up a book for any of the reasons above? Do you pick them up for different reasons? Let me know in the comments!